Saturday, April 12, 2008

Day One in the Outside World

As you noticed, "yesterday's" posting was being updated until 6 AM this morning. "Yesterday" and "Today" don't have a lot of meaning in my new medical schedule, where I'm getting up every six hours to infuse myself with antibiotics, and I'm constantly lugging around a backpack full of nutritious paste.

The good news is that I've had a relatively comfortable experience so far. The TPN feed is keeping me hydrated, despite the warm weather; I have much more variety in my choice of sleeping positions, now that the drainage tubes have been removed, and the cats haven't taken too much of an interest in my medical gear. I think they sense something is amiss.

Today (Saturday's) immediate challenges are to document the procedures for using the antibiotics and the TPN, and set up the 24-hour TPN change, which will happen around 4 PM. Once I'm confident about both procedures, then I need to tackle the mammoth task of cleaning up my room, which somehow grew messier during my three-week absence, do laundry, clean up my desk, and generally make sure I have a comfortable nest in which to rest during the remaining weeks of my recovery.

I have another goal, which I haven't really paid much attention to, although it's the whole point of leaving the hospital in the first place: figuring out what to work on now that I'm home. On Monday, I need to get in touch with work, explain that I can't drive yet, and work out a work-from-home plan for the short term. I also need to get back to reviewing for the PMP exam. I'll still have the same challenge I had in the hospital (and before I entered the hospital, really) - how to fill my waking hours when I'm not working. I had plenty of hobbies and time-wasters before I entered the hospital, but I'm not sure how many of them are important, now.

I have been thinking of taking up amateur photography again. I haven't done much with it since college, but I think it would encourage me to continue getting out of the house, and I could take advantage of the natural beauty of the local National Arboretum. Friends of mine recommend the Canon Digital Rebel XTi and a Canon 50mm 1.4/f lens. We'll see - photography is a great money sink. On the other hand, I haven't spent any 'spending money' in the past month since I've been in a hospital and haven't had shopping as a high item on my list of priorities.

I'll update this later. For now, I'm going to keep watching episodes of 'Lost' and enjoy the cooler temperatures brought by today's overcast weather.

No comments: