Thursday, April 10, 2008

Post-Birthday Wrapup

Last night's celebration turned out to be fine one. Page came over late-afternoon, bearing balloons and a suitcase full of presents, and we kicked off the party with birthday hats and noisemakers. I hope we didn't aggravate any of the other patients too much, but how can you have a 30th birthday bash in silence?

After a few minutes of happy reunions and m
aking noise, I settled down to the important business of opening presents. I started with cards from my parents and my grandmother. These were thoughtful, funny cards, and they're now decorating the walls of my room. From my parents, I got two fun gifts - a puzzle in the shape of a globe - it's really spherical - and a curious game based around a cylinder filled with beads and toys. I'll have to try the game out with my roommates when I get back. I look forward to working on the puzzle - it'll give something to do while I sit at home and watch my IV infuser slowly drip, drip, drip.

Next, I tore into Page's gift assortment. Page
took all of the gifts home afterwards to keep the hospital room neat, so I can't post pictures at the moment, but I'll update this entry later once I have my camera and the objects handy. From Page, I got the following awesome gifts:
  • A pair of painted googles, in the style of vintage welding goggles. Hard to explain without pictures, but they are similar in style to the goggles shown below. I have a hard time explaining my fascination with old goggles, but I love the look of the oversized welding goggles, or the distinctive style of old aviator glasses (think Red Baron-style frames.)

  • A beautiful shirt, short-sleeved, similar in style to the Guayabera shirts I wear constantly in warmer months. This shirt is much more ornate, though, with beautiful stitching and a great collar.
  • An adorable hand-made, stuffed hedgehog. I'm fond of hedgehogs, and hope to have one as a pet someday. Until that time, Page buys me hedgehog memorabilia, which is almost as good. I also got a magnetic desk hedgehog to hold paperclips with.
  • A fun handbook on how to assemble a robot army to defend against invasion from outer space or other threats. I haven't had a chance to read much of the book, but I like the art style a lot. Amazon link.
  • The piece de resistance: A SNOOPY SNO-CONE MAKER!


    I had one of these as a child, like so many others. I hadn't thought about it in years until this hospital stay, when all I've been permitted to eat is crushed ice. I'd joked to Page that it would be great to have a sno-cone machine, since I could mix in any flavor I wanted and still be within the prescribed limits of my doctor's orders to not put anything in my mouth besides crushed ice.

    As I fielded phone calls from family members, Page set up the machine and started making the first round of sno-cones using crushed ice from the nurse's lounge. The machine worked perfectly! I sat back and enjoyed a sno-cone and some pleasant nostalgia at having one of my favorite childhood toys come back to me in my old age.
We were soon joined by several nurses who'd come by to perform routine tests, or simply wish me a happy birthday. We couldn't convince them to put on party hats, though - too bad. We had a surprise guest in the person of Dr. Smith, who smiled approvingly at the Snoopy Sno-Cone Machine and the ongoing festivities. Dr. Smith had some serious business to discuss - I confirmed that I did want to return home this coming weekend, and he explained that various nurses and social workers would be by on Thursday to coordinate my release and the delivery of my IV supplies and training. One issue that came up, and still hasn't been resolved, is how to handle my pain treatment after I leave (since they can't send me home with a hydropmorphone IV, nor can I ingest anything.) We resolved to sort those and other issues out on Thursday, since my party was in full swing and I was much more interested in wearing goggles and birthday hats than speculating over the details of my impending release.

We were joined shortly by two surprise guests: Professor Sprocket and Karen Mitchell. Sprocket is the MC and organizer of the Weirdo Show, the monthly variety revue at the Palace of Wonders. As you recall, Sprocket gave me my performance slot at the March show where I received the injury that put me in the hospital in the first place.

Since my injury, Sprocket and Karen have been ceaseless in sending me supportive, funny emails that have helped keep my spirits up and keep me in contact with the ongoing local scene. It was great to have both of the arrive unexpectedly - it gave me a chance to talk about the accident with Sprocket and make sure we were both 'on the same page' about things, and to catch up with news about the DC performing arts scene. Page and I are both looking forward to getting out of here and getting back out into the clubs and bars to see our friends perform again.

I'll post more later with additional birthday details, and plans for tomorrow's 'jailbreak' from the hospital. Stay tuned!

No comments: