Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Wednesday Update

In brief - no apparent change. Still waiting to talk to Dr. Smith to get his opinion on things. So, we'll see what happens. Looks like I'll be back on Tuesday, though.

Good news is that TPN schedule is being moved from 24 to 16 hours on the feeding IV today, so I'll have a window where I'm untethered for a while. If 16 hours works out, I should be able to move to 12 pretty soon.

I was going through some papers this afternoon and found some printouts of my CT scans. These images were taken from the series of CT snapshots taken during my weekly fluoroscopy scan. For all of you who have borne with me during this long struggle, here is a picture of the problem that started it all, taken during the first week of my hospital stay:


You can discern the vertebrae on the right and the area where my chin meets my chest (my head was tipped forward) easily. The central white column is my esophagus - it's brighter because of the gastrograffin fluid that I swallow during the snapshot.

You can see a slight gouge, or dip, in the back of my esophagus. That's the wound. The perspective is off on this shot, because the injury is actually a little to my right, but you get the idea. It's a pretty small injury site, but it was problematic enough, obviously.

It's smaller now, and I presume is getting smaller every week. I'll be meeting with Dr. Smith in a few days (after my next scan, which will be a little earlier) and hopefully he can give me some perspective on how my recovery is coming along.

No comments: