Friday, April 11, 2008

Moving Out

EDIT: 4/12/08 - 6:54 AM. Well, this is what my life is going to be like for a month: preparing and applying antibiotics IV drips every six hours. Set up is simpler than I thought it would be, and it takes about 35 minutes for the pack to run through.

I slept better than I thought I would. I was concerned that with the hot weather and the lack of AC, I'd be dehydrated (since I can't drink anything!) I woke up feeling fine and only a little dry-mouthed - the feed bag is keeping me hydrated after all. That'll be the next challenge - making sure we can prepare and set up the TPN mix correctly at 4. At least that's only a once-a-day event.


EDIT: 8:54 PM - What a day. Released at 1:30. Dr. Smith removed the JP drains, which was a good sign - he doesn't expect any additional drainage. I am left with 'valves' in my neck which will come out when the fluoroscopy / scan comes back positive.

Much of the day was spent either slogging in traffic or in training at the outpatient IV facility. Page and I spent three hours learning how to operate my TPN (feeding) pump and my antibiotic courses.

Because of an oversight at the nursing station, I'm currently on 24 hour TPN - I was supposed to be on TPN 12 hours a day, so as to make getting around during the day easier. I'll discuss that with Dr. Smith on Monday and see if we can get that changed to 12 as discussed.

Today's training was grueling and complicated, or at least it seemed that way. I have to basically perform all of the day-to-day actions my nurses were performing. That means fetching ice (and making it, and crushing it), changing my sheets, hooking up my feed bag and antibiotics in a safe, sterile fashion, and in the case of the antibiotics, doing it every six hours; administering my own medication, doing my laundry, taking out my trash, buying my toiletries, and other tasks I haven't thought of yet.

Now I'm home, sitting on a couch with a bunch of cats at my feet, watching my favorite television show (Battlestar Galactica!) with Page. The air conditioning isn't so good here, and I don't have a magic button to push when I want something. Still, I think it will be better than just lying in bed another week, looking forward to nothing but a routine of medication and sleep. I'm happy to be back.

EDIT: 4/11/08 - 10:51 AM - My last nurse came in to update me. Everything seems ready to go, but he is making sure that everyone is clear on the schedule and expectations. Additionally, my representative from the Home Care organization came by to introduce herself, and give me her contact information in case I have any questions. Things are moving swiftly...


Well, today is the day. The nurses have already been in to check on me and let me know that last minute preparations are underway to get out of here. To my understanding, I'm just waiting on Dr. Smith to show up, maybe perform some last minute suture adjustments, and then Page and I will walk out of here around 1:30 to get on the road to Rockville so we can get IV training and pick up my supplies.

I'm excited! I am trying to transition myself to feeling like a normal person who walks and talks and goes places. It's going to be an interesting challenge just getting out of the hospital, and then enduring the drive to and from Rockville.

Until Dr. Smith arrives, my only tasks are to keep gathering belongings, and decide when to shower and get dressed (in street clothes, of course). Even though I still have a lot of restrictions on my life, like being tethered to an IV, covered in tubes and not being able to eat or drink, I really do feel like I'm breaking free and rejoining civilization. Hopefully, this coming Tuesday (or the next) will mean I can remove the feed bag, tubes, and start enjoying some real food and drink.

Thank you to all of my readers so far, I have been amazed at the letters and calls I've received over the past few weeks. I've really enjoyed being able to write back and answer questions about my progress and what my hopes are day-to-day. It's meant a lot to me.

Watch this space! I'll update this entry over the course of the day.

No comments: