Thursday, April 3, 2008

A Little Background Information

I realize most of the people who will visit this blog will know in advance who I am, and how I ended up in my current position. However, there are probably a few of you who found this page by accident, or know me but aren't acquainted with my activities for the past six months or so. I'll start with the basics.

I'm 29 years old, but I'll turn 30 on April 9th - next week! I've lived in metro DC since 1996, including four years at American University where I studied journalism. I've lived all over the city, but currently reside on Capitol Hill, right next to RFK Stadium. I am not a sports fan, though, and have never seen a game despite living next to the stadium for almost four years.

By day, I work for a large telecommunications company you're surely familiar with if you live in DC, and suffer a 2 1/2 hour commute daily to Ashburn. If you think that's crazy, you're right; I used to work for a smaller company that got bought out by aforementioned telco giant, and my daily drive went from manageable to maddening.

When not slogging through traffic along the 66/Dulles Toll Road corridor, I'm usually at home, reading or tinkering on a computer or electronics projects, and spending quiet evenings with my cat, who, for sake of his privacy and anonymity, will be referred to throughout this blog as Fluffybear. I know that sounds ridiculous, and it is, but I dote on him constantly and no longer feel shame in thinking of him as basically the teddy bear of my adulthood. Here's a picture of him:


Many of those quiet evenings aren't spent at home. My girlfriend, Page - again, a nom du net for the sake of her privacy - lives in neighboring Prince George's County with her three cats. I'll frequently head over after work, cat carrier slung over my shoulder, for an evening of television and a nice bottle of wine. We're big fans of sprawling adventure series such as Battlestar Galactica, Lost, and recently Dexter, and she's managed to get me hooked on America's Next Top Model and Project Runway.

Anyhow, sounds like a pretty mild lifestyle, huh? Well, it was, until the Palace of Wonders opened up. More on that in the next blog post, when we finally get to swords and to the series of events that led to my current incapacitation.

No comments: